The Shandwick Stone
The Shandwick stone (or Clach a’ Charridh) is a Pictish cross slab (class II stone) from the village of Shandwick, Tarbat Ness, Easter Ross. It is situated above the village, with the cross facing out to sea. The stone is c8th century and is over 3m tall. The cross slab was split and repaired following a storm in 1846. Currently, the stone is housed in a glass box to prevent weathering, however this makes it difficult to photograph.
The cross side of the monument features a Celtic style cross with beast, angels and intertwining snakes.
The opposite side of the stone is made up of six panels.
The bottom two panels of complex Celtic motifs have been partly obscured by the modern base. The panel above these contains a highly complex design made of intricate spirals. Above this, is the so-called ‘hunting scene’ – a bizarre mix of figures, some animal, some human and some fanciful.
The two panels at the top of the stone feature Pictish symbols. The top panel has a double disc symbol, and the one below the ‘Pictish beast’ symbol or ‘Picitsh Elephant’. Note the ‘trunk’ of the beast features a elephantine wrinkles.